Due to a mixture of snow and ice that coated the Memphis area Friday, tours at Elvis Presley's Graceland on Saturday, January 30th, have been cancelled.
Elvis Presley's favorite roller coaster the Zippin' Pippin is coming down. Yesterday, a demolition crew began to tear down the classic 1923 out and back woodie. Efforts to save and relocate the roller coaster from the closed Libertyland amusement park failed.
The city is spending $2 million to demolish the remains of Libertyland and the fairground property, so they can proceed with plans to redevelop the Mid-South Fairgrounds property. In November the city hired an expert to see if the roller coaster was salvageable. After a section of the ride was tore out, it was estimated that it would cost millions to restore or rebuild it. Zippin' Pippin has been sitting unused, exposed to the elements, since Libertyland shut its doors forever in October 2005.
From this week's Billboard Top 200 Album Charts:
- Elvis 75 - Down from 43 to 138
- Boy From Tupelo - Down from 116 to 160
- Elvis: 30 #1 Hits - Down from 156 to 178.
- Top Pop Albums - Elvis 75 (17)
- Top Pop Albums - Memories (3CD Box Set) (39)
- Top Rock Albums - Memories (3CD Box Set) (16)
- Top Rock Albums - Elvis 75 - (20)
- Top Recurrent Country Albums - Elvis: 30 No.1 Hits (10)