From the press release:
Elvis Presley's only NYC concert appearances now in a 3-disc deluxe set! Comes with a 48-page booklet features brand new essays by Lenny Kaye, historic articles & clippings, and many rare & some previously unseen photos. Includes unique George Kalinsky photos + rare shots by Dagmar.
- Elvis performs four sold out shows on June 9, 10 & 11, 1972 at Madison Square Garden – the first artist to sell out 4 consecutive MSG shows!
- RCA recorded both June 10th shows in preparation for releasing a live album just eight days after Elvis departs New York. The album was eventually drawn from his 8:30 p.m. performance and was titled "Elvis As Recorded Live at Madison Square Garden"
- Elvis' engagement at MSG marked the first time Elvis performed in front of a live audience in New York since appearances in 1956 and 1957 on the Dorsey Brothers, Steven Allen and Ed Sullivan shows.
- The MSG box office success from Elvis' appearance is further proof that the public had long awaited his return to New York - a fourth show was added on Sunday, June 11, due to the first three shows instantly selling out.
- John Lennon, George Harrison, Bob Dylan, David Bowie, Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel were all in attendance.
- "Like A Prince From Another Planet" was an NY Times headline following the show