Friday, January 18, 2019

January 18 - Reggie Young Passed Away

Less than a week before the 50th anniversary of his most iconic recording "Suspicious Minds" being waxed at the American Sound Studio with producer Chips Moman, Reggie Young passed away. 

Pianist Bobby Wood, bassist Mike Leech, bassist-producer Tommy Cogbill, drummer Gene Chrisman, Elvis Presley, organist Bobby Emmons, guitarist Reggie Young, American Sound engineer and harmonica player Ed Kollis, and songwriter Dan Penn pose together on January 13, 1969, inside the funky American Sound Studio during the historic sessions that yielded Presley’s “In the Ghetto,” “Suspicious Minds,” “Don’t Cry, Daddy,” and “Kentucky Rain.”

Maybe it's apropos that Memphis Boys guitarist Reggie Young's daughter-in-law Frances Young announced his death late this evening on Facebook. Photos taken over the past year showed that Reggie's health was slipping. He lived to see his 82nd birthday last December 12. 

The Musicians Hall of Fame and Museum on Facebook has also released a statement along with Chris Janson of "Buy Me a Boat" bro-country fame and the Wrecking Crew's Louie Shelton (there will be many others over the coming days). Memphis Boys Bobby Wood (piano) and Gene Chrisman (drums) survive him. 

Frances Young: My family is saddened to announce the passing of Reggie Young, my friend and former father-in-law as well as my children’s beloved Grandpops. Everyone knew Reggie whether they realized it or not. He was the most recorded guitarist in music history and held the record for many years for playing on more #1 songs than any other musician. 'Drift Away’s' signature riff was his calling card, but my favorite song of his when I was a girl was Elvis’ 'In the Ghetto. The guitar mesmerized me while the lyrics told their haunting tale. Little did I know how special the man playing those notes would be in my life. Reggie was my friend, my family, and a father-figure who showed me how gentle and caring a dad could be. May you know joy and peace beyond the Veil, Reggie. Loved ya always, no matter what."

Musicians Hall of Fame and Museum Founder Joe Chambers remembers Reggie Young. It’s hard to know where to start. I don’t really even know how long I’ve known Reggie personally. Musically, for me was the American Studio Recordings probably spun on radio stations WCLS and WDAK AM in Columbus Georgia back in the ’60s and ’70s before moving to Nashville. So many iconic guitar riffs that were and are burned in all of our musical soundtracks. Most of you know already about Reggie so I won’t go deep into his career but for those of you who don’t know, Reggie was the studio guitarist in the band at American Studio in Memphis known as The 827 Thomas Street Band. B.J Thomas, Dusty Springfield, The Box Tops, Neil Diamond and Elvis, to name a few got most of, if not all, of their biggest records with this group at this studio. Later when some of the band moved to Nashville they became known as the “Memphis Boys” continuing their magic in the studio. 

After moving to Nashville, Reggie’s intro to “Drift Away” alone would be enough for most musicians to hang their professional hat on for a lifetime not to mention Reggie’s drawer full of other incredible riffs or just being a member of the Highwaymen band or being on Eric Clapton’s list of favorite guitarists. Like so many other great musicians who have passed, Reggie is still with us every time we hear his guitar on the radio which is, thankfully, all the time. Reggie and Jenny were as perfect a couple as I’ve ever seen and they both deserved each other. Reggie was among the first group of musicians inducted into The Musicians Hall of Fame and Museum as a member of The Memphis Boys in 2007. I’ve said it before, and I’m sure I’ll say it again, the most talented musicians I’ve ever met are usually also the nicest and Reggie was positively both of those.

Made in Germany - The Complete Private Recordings

The details for the upcomming Memphis Recording Service release "Made in Germany - The Complete Private Recordings".

From the press-release:
Memphis Recording Service will release a 4CD/152-page book entitled "Made in Germany - The Complete Private Recordings" on 8 March 2019. 

The CD set contains more than 3 hours of all the private recordings Elvis made while off duty in Germany when he was serving as a soldier in the US army during the 1958 -1960 period and,includes rare tracks from a recently discovered tape comprising over an hour of unheard personal recordings. 

Although the original tapes were damaged with noise, hiss and distortion, for the first time ever, all of Elvis’ recordings made in Germany, have now all been painstakingly cleaned, repaired, and restored, using the most sophisticated technology.  This means that, finally, these truly historical recordings now provide for a complete and enjoyable listening experience. Over the coming weeks, prior to the release date, MRS will be releasing previews of our high restoration techniques through the various collectors forums and channels, providing audio comparisons with all the previous poorly mastered versions - including those included on the recent FTD release which contains some of the tracks also contained in this set. 

The 152-page hardback book contains rare unpublished photographs and documents, complemented by a comprehensive text provided by Gordon Minto, which discusses each of Elvis’ RCA studio (non-film) recording sessions held during 1957-58, before focusing on the private recordings he made in Germany. The bonus CD included features the essential RCA studio masters from the 1957-’58 period (also lovingly restored and remastered by MRS) and includes - together for the first time - studio banter as well as the count-ins on ‘All Shook Up’, ‘Don’t Leave Me Now’ and ‘White Christmas’.

The Made in Germany CD set is available for preorder from your local Elvis dealer now. Also, watch out for the announcement in the coming weeks for the Limited Edition 180-gram 2LP/24-page gatefold version, containing the best of the home recordings Elvis made in Germany!

CD1 - September 1958 Interviews:
Press Interview (Brooklyn Army Terminal) - Elvis Presley Newsreel Interview (1958) - Pat Hernon Interviews Elvis In the U.S.S. Randall

Guitar Reel 1:
I'm Beginning to Forget You - I Can't Help It (End Only) / Mona Lisa - I Can't Help It / Guitar - Danny Boy / Danny Boy (Incomplete) - Loving You - Guitar / I'm Beginning To Forget You - Dialogue / I'm Beginning To Forget You - Dialogue / Santa Claus Is Back In Town / Dialogue / Loving You / Dialogue - Dialogue / Loving You (One Line) / Dialogue - I'm Beginning To Forget You (Reprise) - I'm Beginning To Forget You (Elvis Reprise)

CD 2 - Guitar Reel 2:
He Knows Just What I Need/Working On The Building - He Knows Just What I Need (LFS x2) - He Knows Just What I Need (Complete 1) - He Knows Just What I Need (Complete 2) - He Knows Just What I Need (Rehearsing / LFS x2) - He Knows Just What I Need (Complete 3) - He Knows Just What I Need (LFS / Rehearsal) - He Knows Just What I Need (FS / Complete) - Cool Water - Like A Baby - His Hand in Mine (Complete / Ending) - Young Love (Red West Singing) - Her Hand in Mine - Return To Me / Her Hand In Mine (Rehearsing Ending) - Her Hand In Mine (Complete 2) - Her Hand in Mine (Complete 3 / Cut) - Just A Closer Walk With Thee / If I Didn't Care / Are You Sincere - Are You Lonesome Tonight? / Once Upon A Time - Stand By Me (Damaged Sections) - Just A Closer Walk With Thee / Take My Hand, Precious Lord - Oh Lonesome Me

CD 3 - Piano Reel:
I Asked The Lord - Apron Strings - Soldier Boy / Such A Night (One Line) / Soldier Boy - I Asked The Lord (Reprise) - Piano / Earth Angel - I'll Take You Home Again Kathleen (Fast) - Que Sera / Hound Dog / Piano / At The Hop - I'll Take You Home Again Kathleen (Slow) - Apron Strings (Reprise) - It's Been So Long Darling - Earth Angel (Intro) / I Will Be True - There's No Tomorrow - I'll Take You Home Again Kathleen (Slow 2) / Que Sera / Hound Dog - I Asked The Lord (Reprise 2) - I'll Take You Home Again Kathleen (Fast Reprise) - Apron Strings (Reprise 2) - The Titles Will Tell - At The Hop / Give Me My Oil Lamp / Que Sera / Hound Dog / Piano - Send Me Some Lovin' - The Fool (Take 1) - The Fool (Take 2FS, 3FS, 4)

CD 4 - Bonus Disc - The Essential RCA Studio Masters 1957:
All Shook Up (With Studio Chat & Count In) - (There'll Be) Peace In The Valley (For Me) - That's When Your Heartaches Begin - I Believe - Take My Hand Precious Lord - It Is No Secret (What God Can Do) - Blueberry Hill - Have I Told You Lately That I Love You - Is It So Strange - Don't Leave Me Now (With Studio Chat & Count In) - I Beg Of You - One Night (With You) - True Love - I Need You So - Blue Christmas - My Wish Came True - White Christmas (With Studio Chat & Count In) - Here Comes Santa Claus (Right Down Santa Claus Lane) - Silent Night - Don't - Oh Little Town Of Bethlehem - Santa Bring My Baby Back (To Me) - Santa Claus Is Back In Town - I'll Be Home for Christmas

The Essential RCA Studio Masters 1958:
Doncha' Think It's Time (Single Master) - Wear My Ring Around Your Neck - I Need Your Love Tonight - A Big Hunk O' Love - (Now And Then There's) A Fool Such As I - I Got Stung - Doncha' Think It's Time (LP Master) - Wear My Ring Around Your Neck (Undubbed Version).

Golden Vinyl


Released by the Forced Exposure Records label is a vinyl re-issue of the classic “Elvis' Golden Records” album. 


(Source: FECC / Facebook / Elvis Club Berlin / Memphis Recording Service)