Tuesday, September 22, 2020

September 22 - Christmas for Everybody on Stereo Tapes

The Good Music label announced the release of 'Elvis: Hist First Christmas Album in Stereo'. 

From the press release:

Using new, state of the art audio technology, the original monaural tracks contained on Presley’s 1957 holiday album have been skillfully transformed into brilliant, lifelike stereo, using the DES (Digitally Extracted Stereo) method. The sound is stunning! You can hear Elvis better and there is richer detail in the music!

With total sales of over 20 million copies worldwide, Elvis’s holiday offering remains the best-selling Christmas album of all time. This new CD brings this wonderful classic to life as never before! There are also 8 bonus tracks converted from mono to stereo, for a total of 20 songs that never sounded better!

Fascinating liner notes reveal the story behind the big hit 'Blue Christmas,' (how it was written on a commuter train, and how Presley deliberately tried to louse up the song... but it was a hit anyway!). Then there’s the controversy caused when composer Irving Berlin tried to block radio stations from playing Elvis’s version of 'White Christmas.' Also read about songs that were commissioned by Elvis for this release, and learn about the tunes that Presley arranged himself. Includes rare color photos.

Tracks: Santa Claus Is Back In Town - White Christmas - Here Comes Santa Claus (Right Down Santa Claus Lane) - I'll Be Home For Christmas - Blue Christmas - Santa Bring My Baby Back (To Me) - Oh Little Town Of Bethlehem - Silent Night - (There'll Be) Peace In The Valley (For Me) - I Believe - Take My Hand, Precious Lord - It Is No Secret (What God Can Do).

Bonus Songs: Love Me - Lonesome Cowboy - I Need You So - Loving You - Playing For Keeps - True Love - My Wish Came True - Old Shep.

The Comprehensive USA Artwork Guide to Elvis Presley Tapes

Josepth Tunzi's JAT Publishing announced the release of the book 'The Comprehensive USA Artwork Guide to Elvis Presley Tapes", the perfect companion to the best seller 'The Definitive Vinyl Artwork of Elvis Presley 1956-1977' according to the website. The book is due in mid 2021. 

October 2020 FTD Releases

The Follow That Dream, collectors label announced the release of the 4-CD set ‘Something for Everybody / Wild in the Country Sessions’ and the 2-LP ‘Easy Come, Easy Go’ as the label’s October 2020 release. 

From the press release

FTD is pleased to announce the release of 'The Something For Everybody Sessions' including 'The Wild In The Country sessions'. It will include remixed and remastered unreleased studio outtakes. This 8 inch deluxe 4-CD package will also feature a 28-page booklet with an insightful essay, record and movie data, memorabilia and rare photos. Released late October.

All the session takes from Elvis' RCA November 7 / 8, 1960 and March 12 / 13, 1961 sessions. The vast majority of these session have already been released but it will include several "new" false start outtakes from 'Put the Blame On Me',  'Wild In the Country' and 'I Slipped, I Stumbled, I Fell'.

Compared the previous FTD releases 'Something for Everybody' and 'Wild in the Country' the unreleased takes on this set are:

It’s a sin (take 3)
I want you with me (rehearsal)
There’s always me (take 3)
Put the blame on me (takes 3, 4)
Lonely man (takes 2, 3, 5, 9, 10)
In my way (takes 3, 7)
Wild in the country (takes 3 to 9, 15, 17, 18)
I slipped, I stumbled, I fell (takes 4, 5, 6, 10, 12) 
I slipped, I stumbled, I fell - lower key version (take 17)

The duet 'Husky Dusky Day' which was featured in the movie on the classic album release, is excluded from this release. 

Together with these two items the second print of the label's 'The Making of Elvis That's The Way It Is' will be shipped to dealers. 

Additional on the 'Easy Come, Easy G' design: ''FTD Vinyl is pleased to announce the first official RCA Victor Easy Come, Easy Go 2-LP edition. As there was no official publicity portrait session for the movie, the original EP featured a cover shot from Girl Happy. Around the same time as the ECEG EP release, See The USA The Elvis Way EP (based on the ECEG EP art design) was released exclusively in Australia and New Zealand. For this 2-LP limited edition, we have mirrored this rare design that included a publicity portrait from Spinout. Elvis recorded the songs on september 28 and 29, 1966.''

Disc 1 - The Something For Everybody Sessions:

I Feel So Bad (single A-Side) - (Chuck Willis)

Something For Everybody - The Album - Side 1 The Ballad Side:

There’s Always Me - Give Me The Right - It’s A Sin - Sentimental Me - Starting Today - Gently

Something For Everybody - The Album - Side 2 - The Rhythm Side:

I’m Comin. Home - In Your Arms - Put The Blame On Me - Judy - I Want You With Me - I Slipped, I Stumbled, I Fell

Wild In The Country - The Masters (December 1960 Stereo Mixes):

Lonely Man (Single B-Side) - Wild In The Country (Single B-Side) - In My Way - Forget Me Never - I Slipped, I Stumbled, I Fell

The March 1961 Sessions:

I’m Comin’ Home (Take 1 - 2) - I’m Comin’ Home (Take 3) - I’m Comin’ Home (Take 4) - I’m Comin’ Home (Take 5) - I’m Comin’ Home (Take 6 - 7M) - Gently (Take 1 - 2) - Gently (Take 3) - Gently (Take 4) - Gently (Take 5/M) - In Your Arms (Take 1) - In Your Arms (Take 2/M) - Give Me The Right (Take 1) - Give Me The Right (Take 2) - Give Me The Right (Take 3 - 4/M)

CD 2  -  The March 1961 Sessions (Continued):

I Feel So Bad (Take 1) - I Feel So Bad (Take 2/M) - It’s A Sin (Take 1 - 2) - It’s A Sin (Take 3 - 4/M) - I Want You With Me (Rehearsal) - I Want You With Me (Take 1) - I Want You With Me (Take 2/M) - There’s Always Me (Take 1) - There’s Always Me (Take 2) - There’s Always Me (Take 3 - 4) - There’s Always Me (Take 5 - 9) - There’s Always Me (Take 10/M) - Starting Today (Take 1) - Starting Today (Take 2) - Starting Today (Take 3/M) - Sentimental Me (Take 1) - Sentimental Me (Take 2/M) - Judy (Take 1) - Judy (Take 2 - 3) - Judy (Take 4) - Judy (Take 5 - 7) - Judy (Take 8/M) - Put The Blame On Me (Take 1 - 2) - Put The Blame On Me (Take 3 - 4) - Put The Blame On Me (Take 5/M)

CD 3  -  The Wild In The Country Sessions:

Lonely Man (Take 1) - Lonely Man (Take 2 - 3) - Lonely Man (Take 4) - Lonely Man (Take 5 - 8) - Lonely Man (Take 9) - Lonely Man (Take 10 - 12) - Lonely Man (Take 13/M) - Lonely Man (solo, Take 1) - Lonely Man (Solo, Take 2 - 3) - Lonely Man (Solo, Take 4/M) - In My Way (Take 1) - In My Way (Take 2) - In My Way (Take 3 - 7) - In My Way (Take 8/M)

CD 4  -  The Wild In The Country Sessions (Continued):

Wild In The Country (Take 1) - Wild In The Country (Take 2 - 8) - Wild In The Country (Take 9 - 11) - Wild In The Country (Take 12 - 13) - Wild In The Country (Take 14) - Wild In The Country (Take 15 - 16) - Wild In The Country (Take 17 - 18) - Wild In The Country (Take 19/M) - Forget Me Never (Take 1) - Forget Me Never (Take 2) - Forget Me Never (Take 3/M) - I Slipped, I Stumbled, I Fell (Take 1 - 3) - I Slipped, I Stumbled, I Fell (Take 4 - 6) - I Slipped, I Stumbled, I Fell (Take 7 - 9) - I Slipped, I Stumbled, I Fell (Take 10) - I Slipped, I Stumbled, I Fell (Take 11) - I Slipped, I Stumbled, I Fell (Take 12 - 13/M) - I Slipped, I Stumbled, I Fell (Lower Key, Take 14 - 16) - I Slipped, I Stumbled, I Fell (lower key, Take 17 - 18/M)

Tracks Easy Come Easy Go: 

Side A: Easy Come, Easy Go - The Love Machine - I’ll Take Love - You Gotta Stop - Sing You Children - Yoga Is As Yoga Does - She’s A Machine

Side B - Special Bonus Songs: Come What May - Fools Fall In Love

Outtakes: The Love Machine (Take 1 - 3) - She’s A Machine (Take 5 - 7) - You Gotta Stop (Instrumental Take 5)

Side C - Outtakes: Easy Come, Easy Go (Take 10) - I’ll Take Love (Take 1, 2 A) - Leave My Woman Alone (Instrumental Take 5) - The Love Machine (Take 4, 5, 11) - Sing You Children (Take 1) - She’s A Machine (Take 10)

Side D - Outtakes: The Love Machine (Take 13 - 14) - I’ll Take Love (Take 2B) - She’s A Machine (Take 13 – Movie Master) - Yoga Is As Yoga Does (Take 5 - 6) - Sing You Children (Take 18 - 19)

(Source: Good Music / JAT Publishing / Facebook / FECC / Elvis Club Berlin)