Tuesday, September 11, 2018

September 11 - Early Days Book Bootlegs


The ElvisOne label announced the release of the two CDs "The Bad Nauheim Tapes Part 1 and 2". This announcement comes less than two days after theses recordings were shared on the Phoenix Forum.

From the press-release:
These days, it’s almost a miracle when something new turns up, especially when it’s from Elvis’ finest years. Two hours’ worth of homerecordings from 1959 sounds too good to be true, and yet here it is.

These remarkable recordings were made while Elvis lived in Bad Nauheim, Germany. Listening to these recordings, it’s clear that he is having a good time with his pals, but the keen listener will also note that he is mapping out his musical future.  


Gospel music was always his first love, so naturally that’s well represented here. Most notable are several stabs at ‘He Knows Just What I Need’, and it’s not unlikely that the idea to record it at some point was born here. Same with ‘Are You Lonesome Tonight’, a song that would be a million seller for him one year later.

There’s some clowning around by all involved (most notably a goofy Lamar Fike reading the news), but what stands out most from these recordings is Elvis’ commitment to his music, his level of ambition and his determination to master several of these songs. What you hear on these significant recordings is an artist who knew that he had to reinvent himself in order to sustain a successful career. These private recordings offer a fascinating insight into the artist redefining his art at a crucial point in his career, and as such, this is essential listening for the Elvis fan & scholar.

Only a small part from these tapes have been released before, but the bulk of it is unreleased – almost three hours of Elvis at home, relaxed, doing what he loved most – making music.
             
ElvisOne is proud to be able to release these recordings as a 2 + 1 CD set, with rare photos from te timeframe, background notes and detailed track info. Available now!

Part One (2XCD set)
CD1: I’m Beginning To Forget You / I Can’t Help It (If I’m Still In Love With You) (ending only) / Mono Lisa / I Can’t Help It (If I’m Still In Love With You) / Guitar Piece / Danny Boy (take 1) / Danny Boy (rehearsing a few lines)* / Danny Boy (take 2)* / Loving You / I’m Beginning To Forget You (not Elvis)* / Dialogue / Christmas / Santa Claus Is Back In Town / Loving You / Dialogue / Loving You (not Elvis)* / Lamar Fike’s radio commercials* / I’m Beginning To Forget You (not Elvis)* / I’m Beginning To Forget You (incomplete) / I’m Beginning To Forget You
For the first time you can hear all tracks unedited!
* = Previously unreleased

CD2: He Knows Just What I Need (#1) / He Knows Just What I Need (#2) / He Knows Just What I Need (#3) / He Knows Just What I Need (#4) / He Knows Just What I Need (#5) / He Knows Just What I Need (#6) / Reading The News (by Lamar Fike) / He Knows Just What I Need (#7) / He Knows Just What I Need (#8) / He Knows Just What I Need (#9) / Cool Water / Like A Baby / His Hand In Mine / Young Love / His Hand In Mine (rehearsing) / Return To Me / Are You Sincere? / Are You Lonesome Tonight? / Stand By Me (rehearsing) / Just a Closer Walk With Thee / Take My Hand, Precious Lord / Oh, Lonesome Me
All tracks on CD2 previously unreleased!

Part Two (single disc)
I Asked The Lord (take 1) / I Asked The Lord (take 2) / Apron Strings (#1) / Soldier Boy (take 1)* / Such A Night (1 line) – Soldier Boy (take 2) / I Asked The Lord (take 3) / I Asked The Lord (take 4) / I Asked The Lord (rehearsing the ending)* / I Asked The Lord (incomplete) / I Asked The Lord (working on final notes) / I Asked The Lord (working on song’s conclusion)* / Piano Solo (#1)* / Earth Angel (take 1) / Earth Angel (take 2) / I’ll Take You Home Again Kathleen (fast #1) / Hound Dog (incomplete)* / Piano Solo (#2)* / At The Hop / I’ll Take You Home Again Kathleen (slow #1) / Apron Strings (#2) / It’s Been So Long Darling – Dialogue / Earth Angel (intro) – I Will Be True / There’s No Tomorrow / I’ll Take You Home Again Kathleen (slow #2) / Que Sera Sera – Hound Dog (#1) / I Asked The Lord / I Asked The Lord (rehearsing the ending) / I’ll Take You Home Again Kathleen (fast #2) / Apron Strings (#3) / The Titles Will Tell / At The Hop (2 lines) – Give Me Oil In My Lamp / Que Sera Sera – Hound Dog (#2) / Piano Solo (#3) / Send Me Some Lovin’ (#1)* / Dialogue – Send Me Some Lovin’ (#2)

For the first time you can hear all tracks unedited!
* = Previously unreleased

From Cover to Vinyl – The Artistry of Elvis Bootlegs


Due soon is the book "From Cover to Vinyl – The Artistry of Elvis Bootlegs". 

From the press-release:
When Bootleg Elvis appeared in 2012, it sold out almost immediately, and became an instant favorite of Presley collectors all over the world, most calling it the "Bootleg Bible”. Since then, additional rare bootleg titles have been discovered, not to mention many unexpected variations of some classic albums.

So … it seemed to be time for a new and updated look at this world. Whereas Bootleg Elvis mainly relied on text to tell the story, this new edition chooses to focus on photographs. Using the 2012 classic as a reference point, we decided to feature scans of every cover, label, piece of vinyl and insert for you. This will make it easy to identify each and every pressing and variation.

We also decided to split the original book into two volumes. In the first, every known bootleg 7 inch and 10 inch record will be noted on 300+ pages, with more than 1,600 color pictures, cross-references to Bootleg Elvis, and totaling perhaps 400 titles in all!

The second volume will cover all the wonderful 12 inch releases and is planned for an early 2019 release. Please contact your local dealer to ensure your copy of this very limited release! 

Are You Lonesome Tonight - The Uncut Bad Nauheim Tapes


The VIK import-label, known from their release "Greetings From Germany",   announced the release of the three CD set "Are You Lonesome Tonight - The Uncut Bad Nauheim Tapes" containing two hours of Elvis recordings from Bad Nauheim.

From the press-release:
This is Elvis like you never heard him before. With loads of unreleased material and notes from the files of Rex Mansfield. An awesome collection! For the first time you will hear Elvis sing in private "Are You Lonesome Tonight", "Oh Lonesome Me", Like A Baby", Cool Water (Yes! the Marty Robbins Song), "His Hand In Mine" and many more. 

This is exact how it appeared on the tapes, remastered for your listening pleasure but uncut! So expect some microphone overload or volume changes throughout the tape. These tapes "uncut" is how real collectors need to have it in their collection.

This three CD set will be released in a deluxe fold out longbox.

Disc 1: 01 Conversation 02 I’m Beginning To Forget You #1 03 I Can’t Help It (If I’m Still In Love With You) 04 Mona Lisa 05 I Can’t Help It (If I’m Still In Love With You) 06 Guitar Jam 07 Danny Boy #1 08 Danny Boy #2 09 Danny Boy #3 / Loving You 10 Unknown Jam 11 I’m Beginning To Forget You (not Elvis) 12 Clowning Around / WHBQ advertisement 13 Chubby “Lamar” Fike Take The Mike / Funny Talk 14 I’m Beginning To Forget You #2 15 Elvis Does A MGM Commercial 16 Talking And Clowning Around 17 Santa Claus Is Back In Town 18 Loving You 19 Clowning Around 20 Loving You (not Elvis) 21 Clowning Around 22 Lamar Fike – Reading The News For WHBQ 23 I’m Beginning To Forget You – few seconds only 24 Lamar Fike – Reading The News For WHBQ 25 I’m Beginning to Forget You 26 I’m Beginning To Forget You (not Elvis) 27 I’m Beginning To Forget You – few attemps + complete 28 I’m Beginning To Forget You – Few attempts till tape runs out

Disc 2: 01 I Asked The Lord 02 I Asked The Lord #2 03 Apron Strings #1 04 Soldier Boy 05 Such A night 06 Soldier Boy #2 07 I Asked The Lord #3 08 I Asked The Lord #4 09 I Asked The Lord – rehearsal of the ending 10 I Asked The Lord #5 11 I Asked The Lord – rehearsal of the ending 12 Piano Solo – Jingle Bells 13 Earth Angel #1 14 Earth Angel – rehearsal of the ending 15 I’ll Take You Home Again Kathleen #1 16 Hound Dog 17 Piano Solo 18 At The Hop 19 I’ll Take You Home Kathleen #2 20 Apron Strings #2 21 It’s Been So Long Darling 22 Earth Angel / I Will Be True 23 There’s No Tomorrow 24 I’ll Take You Home Again Kathleen #3 25 Que Sera Sera / Hound Dog 26 I Asked The Lord #6 + ending reprise 27 I’ll Take You Home Again Kathleen #4 28 Apron Strings # 3 29 The Titles Will Tell 30 At The Hop – Give Me My Oil Lamp 31 Que Sera Sera – Hound Dog – Piano Solo 32 Send Me Some Lovin’ 33 Send Me Some Lovin’ #2

Disc 3: 01 Dialogue 02 He Knows Just What I Need #1 / Working On The Building 03 He Knows Just What I Need #2 04 He Knows Just What I Need #3 05 He Knows Just What I Need #4 06 He Knows Just What I Need #5 07 He Knows Just What I Need #6 08 He Knows Just What I Need #7 09 Funny News reading 10 He Knows Just What I Need #8 11 He Knows Just What I Need #9 12 He Knows Just What I Need #10 13 Cool Water 14 Like A Baby 15 His Hand In Mine 16 Young Love (Red West) 17 His Hand In Mine (few attempts) 18 Return To Me 19 His Hand In Mine (few attempts) 20 His Hand In Mine 21 His Hand In Mine – ending taped over 22 Bits & Pieces 23 Just A Closer Walk With Thee 24 If I Didn’t Care For You 25 Are You Sincere 26 Are You Lonesome Tonight? 27 Stand By Me (several attempts) 28 Just A Closer Walk With Thee 29 Take My Hand, Precious Lord 30 Oh Lonesome Me 

(Source: FECC)