Friday, July 21, 2023

July 21 - Tony Bennett Died

Grammy and Emmy Award winning Jazz-singer and performer Tony Bennett died, he was 96. His career spanned 7 decades and multiple genres.

Elvis Presley recorded his 1953 hit (with Percy Faith and his orchestra) 'Rags to Riches' in 1971 for his 'Elvis Country' album. In 1994 Bennett recorded Elvis' 'Love me Tender' for the 'It's Now or Never - The Tribute to Elvis' album.

When asked to compare Frank Sinatra and Elvis, Tony Bennett said “You can’t compare them. Presley is country music, white music. Jazz is Black music – it was invented by Black people in New Orleans. And I’m really a jazz singer. I was impressed with Elvis – he was the handsomest guy I ever met in my life, and a very nice person, too. But the music doesn’t impress me.”

New Vinyl

Due for release from the Legendary Artists budget record label on August 25, 2023 are 'Elvis at the Movies' and 'Both Sides of Elvis'. 

(Source: Variety / Wikipedia / Do You Remember /Alanna Nash / Amazon)