Wednesday, August 16, 2023

August 16 - 46 Years Ago

Today marks the 46th anniversary of Elvis Presley's untimely death on August 16, 1977. 

Some artists fade away after they die, but not Elvis! His legacy is just as diverse as it is relevant 46 years later. 

Fans around the world remember and celebrate Elvis Presley the man, his life and his legacy. Fans gathered at Graceland on the evening of August 15th to carry a candle up to Meditation Garden in quiet remembrance of Elvis'. The Memphis Commercial Appeal reports that Graceland officials put the head count at The August 15 Candlelight Vigil - 2023 marks the 45th annual vigil - as "close to 15,000 people".

The ceremony for the 46th anniversary was organized as always by the Elvis Country Fan Club. Fortunately a lot of young fans joined the crowd this year. 

Graceland invites fans from around the world to
watch the annual Candlelight Vigil (live from Graceland) online to be part of this very special evening honoring the life and legacy of Elvis Presley. Click >>> here to watch it.

This year fans not only remembered Elvis, but also Lisa Marie. Jerry Schilling, along with other special guests, for a celebration and remembrance of the life of Lisa Marie Presley as told through music, personal stories, photos, and videos. Joel Weinshanker spoke to the crowd noting that, "The only thing important to Lisa Marie was Graceland and her Dad's legacy".

During the event a previously unreleased duet between Elvis and Lisa Marie on 'You'll Never Walk Alone' was played over a slideshow remembering Lisa Marie.

Priscilla posted on Facebook: Today marks the 46th anniversary of Elvis' passing. His memory never fades. Thank you to the millions of fans for their continued love. There will never be another Elvis. 

With love and peace,
Priscilla🌹




Billy Smith posted: 46 years ago.  To some it's a lifetime.  To me it seems like yesterday.  Every time August 16th rolls around, it's like I'm stuck in a horror movie.  I see how the day starts, with love, joy and hope.  A new day and an opportunity to tell Elvis, "if you need me, I'll be there".   This is what I was going to tell him, after we had our last conversation on the 14th.  I was so looking forward to seeing him that day. 
August 16th, 1977 was a sad day for millions.  But, for some it was devastating.  It totally crushed me.  I could never put the words Elvis and death together.  The thought of Elvis dying never crossed my mind.  When I heard the news of his death, I fell into a deep state of shock.  I literally had to be shaken, physically to bring me back to my senses.

After I made a phone call to Graceland to find out if the news on the radio was true.  I walked to my car. Just as I was about to open the door, I fell to my knees and cried out to God.  WHY GOD, WHY!!!  Thoughts raced through my head.  If I had been there, maybe I could have done something.  You should have been there, Billy.  Dammit Billy, you should have been there. 

As I was driving to Graceland, all the great times I had with Elvis came to me.  When I got to Graceland, the crowd was so big, that a policeman had to move people away so I could drive through the gates.  People placed their hands on my car, some shouted my name as I slowly drove by.

I drove to the back and parked as I have done since 1969.  Only this time it seemed eerily quiet.  I didn't hear the birds singing in the trees, or the normal sounds you hear outside.  I did notice it was unbearably hot, though.  The first thing I saw was Rick and David standing in the backyard.  I walked toward them.  As I was passing the pink Cadillac, I remembered Elvis picking me up from school in it one day.  I lightly placed my finger on it and dragged it along the length of the car as I walk by.

When I got to Rick and David, we hugged.  All I could say was, this can't be real.  Someone please wake me up.  The 3 of us stood in silence for a few minutes.  Off in the distance I saw Lisa riding her golf cart.  I asked, does Lisa know yet?  Rick and David said, she knows somethings wrong, but they are waiting for Priscilla to tell her. 

Lisa saw us standing together, then she drove up to us.  She asked, Uncle Billy do you want to take a ride with me?  My heart sank, I fought back the tears.  I said, I will after a while sweetie.  She smiled then drove away. 

I asked, where's Daddy.  Rick and David said, he's in the kitchen.  I said, I'm going to check on him, I'll be back in a little while.  They said, okay.  When I opened the door in the den, I heard moaning and sobbing like I've never heard before.  I saw Vernon sitting in a chair in the kitchen.  I walked up to him and bent down to hug him.  He placed his arms around me and pulled me close.  He was shaking uncontrollably. He said, he's gone Billy.  My sonny's gone.  (that's what Vernon called Elvis, sonny) I was at a loss for words.  I didn't know what to say. As we hugged, I managed to say, I know Daddy.  I love you.  He stood up and continued to hang onto to me.  He put his hand on the back of my head and pulled me closer, then he began to pat my head.  I stood there praying, God please be with Daddy, comfort him.  He began to wabble, one of the maids saw this and came over to help me put him back in the chair.  I said, if you need me Daddy, I'll be around the house.  I'll stay as long as you need me, too.  He said, thank you Billy. 

I walked out the front door.  I saw the crowd had gotten bigger now.  I could feel the hurt and sorrow of all the people outside the gates.  It was too much to bear, so I walked to the backyard.

Rick and David had gone someplace else by now.  I walked over to the swing set and took a seat.  I sat there until sun set.  My mind was full of memories.  Everything I looked at brought back a memory.

I checked on Daddy one more time, before I left.  They said, the doctor gave him something to settle him down, and that he was laying down.  I didn't want to disturb him, so I left.  As I was leaving one of the guys said, we're going to need you for security for the next few days, will you help.  I said, yes, I'll be here.
When I got home, I broke down.  Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think this day would come.  Even to this day, it haunts me.  All of this and more plays out in my head.  The sites, the sounds are there from this day.  It's a day I will never forget.

In closing, I'd like to ask a favor.  46 years ago, today at 3:30pm the official news came out.  Would you join me in a moment of silence, at 3:30pm?    Thank you in advance.

I chose this photo today, because this is what I saw when I got to Graceland.  It's a photo from August 16th, 1977.


(Source: Graceland)