Tuesday, December 19, 2023

December 19 - 10550 Rocca Place - The Home Recordings

Volume 274 of the 'Graceland' fan-club magazine from the German Elvis Presley Gesellschaft came with a CD titled '10550 Rocca Place - The Home Recordings'.

The disc contains the well-known home-recordings done at the Presley Home in 1966/67 and a bonus track. All tracks were remastered using AI-technology by Jürgen Keilwerth according to the backside of the cover. The back notes "For Fan Club Use Only - Not For Sale".

Tracks: After Loving You - If I Loved You - Show Me Thy Ways, O Lord - Tumbling Tumbleweeds - Hide Thou Me (Rock Of Ages) (#1) - Hide Thou Me (Rock Of Ages) (#2) - It's No Fun Being Lonely - San Antonio Rose - Tennessee Waltz (#1) - Tennessee Waltz (#2) - I´ve Been Blue - Mary Lou Brown - Moonlight Sonata - Blue Hawaii - Oh How I Love Jesus - I, John (Incomplete) - Write To Me From Naples - My Heart Cries For You - Dark Moon (#1) - Dark Moon (#2) - Indescribably Blue - Fools Rush In - It's A Sin To Tell A Lie - What Now My Love (#1) - What Now My Love (#2) - Five Hundred Miles (#1) - Five Hundred Miles (#2) - Blowin' In The Wind (#1) - Blowin' In The Wind (#2) - Suppose (#1) - Suppose (#2)

Bonus Song - November 1960: She Wears My Ring.

Dixie Locke Emmons Died

One of Elvis’ first loves, Dixie Locke Emmons, has passed away. She was 85. 

Dixie was someone who knew Elvis Presley before the world knew him as the iconic ‘King of Rock and Roll.’ Her relationship with Elvis was one of genuine connection and affection, founded on mutual respect and admiration long before fame and fortune.

Dixie Locke Emmons is regarded as Elvis' first serious girlfriend. They started dating in January 1954 and met though their mutual involvement in the First Assembly of God. It was on January 24, 1954 that Dixie noticed Elvis at a church function.

She noted, "I thought Elvis was the most gorgeous thing I'd ever seen. He was a very shy person, but when he started singing he put so much into putting the music across that he kind of lost himself. He threw himself into it completely".

When we first dated we went to a drive-in in South Memphis which was where I was from. We just sat and talked, and he told me about his job, about his family. It was kind of not strange because we both felt like we already knew each other. We had so much in common. Our families were so similar in that they were hardworking people.

He asked me if I could go out the next week when he took me home. I told him yes and I gave him my aunt's phone number. Elvis was just a nice, handsome guy. There was a magic kiss that night when we got home. It was almost casual. I had to sneak into the house because my parents were sleeping.

We started going together in January '54, and we dated pretty steadily until his first record was released. We were together three or four nights a week. From January '54 until we went to the prom together in 1955. But Elvis was traveling a lot by that time and he had such a busy schedule. He also came to my graduation in '56.

We kept a good close bond with each other. We had talked about getting married after my high school graduation but by the time his records came out, we realized that wasn't going to happen. I cannot actually remember Elvis and I ever specifically breaking up, because we didn’t. No matter how far his fame was beginning to take him, we knew in our hearts we were eternally tied to each other.”  

Elvis attended Dixie’s Southside High School prom on May 6, 1955. Dixie met and was around Elvis’ mother Gladys Presley, and she was in Elvis’ life when he recorded “Thats Alright,” at Sun Records on July 5, 1954. 

January 24, 1954: Elvis and Dixie Locke were at the same place at the same time. They had not officially met yet. Dixie saw Elvis and at that moment she made plans with a friend to go roller-skating on Saturday night, making sure that Elvis overheard her conversation.

Dixie shared her memories in the book 'Unlocked: Memoirs of Elvis' First Girlfriend'. 

(Source: FECC Forum / Kirstie Emmons Jones / Elvis News Examiner / Elvis Information Network)